Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Friendship

December 16 – Friendship How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst? (Author: Martha Mihalick)

Imagine getting news that your best friend for most of your college career decided that the states were no longer for her and she'll be moving to South America for the remainder of her college career. It was a shock. She was a former roommate and my confidant. I can tell her ANYTHING. It took a little while to get used to the fact that in a couple of months, she would be living in a completely differently country all together. I honestly did not know what I was going to do with myself. It was very difficult to say goodbye.

Our friendship has totally changed my perspective on what it is to be a good friend. Moreover, we both learned about ourselves and the people we both considered friends. Relationships take work. Most people don't realize this. I'm not saying that being a friend is work, but be a good friend takes time and effort. The part I missed most about her being in Richmond is calling her after last call and telling her about the antics of that night. Other than that, the distance allowed us to reflect more on the ways we have changed over the years. We learned that we have grown and changed for the better. I dont fly off the handle as much and she has learned how to put her foot down and be more assertive. We both learned there is a much bigger world that the bubble we live in at our schools.

The change was definitely gradual. Also, when I go through something she can add a new perspective since she isn't around all the time. We point out the not - so - obvious in one another. Also it proves how strong friendship can be, even though we live miles apart. Its comforting knowing that someone out there really cares (even though they dont have to, they just do).

No comments:

Post a Comment