Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Moment.

December 3 – Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)
 


Imagine arriving at your destination after driving for 13 hours; then you are told that you will be presenting in front 500 people later on that afternoon. We had driven through the night to get to Orno Maine from Richmond, VA, so I was caught off guard (probably due to lack of sleep). I don't hate public speaking, but I have never talked in front of that many people before. I headed a committee that decided where convention will be in 2011 and I was kind of scared shitless. The lights were hot and bright. I tweeted about how nervous I was and got plenty of encouragement. The district officers were on stage and national officers were scattered amongst the audience. My breathing became shallow and I was nearly breathless when I began addressing the district. It was odd, having people actually LISTEN to what I had to say. I love my chapter, but at home people often dont take in what I have to say. I usually get lots of blank looks. To have that audience that CARED about what was said was awesome. I remember the cheers of excitement as I announced the location for next years convention, and the applause me and my colleague received after we gave our report. That weekend in Maine was a very memorable one and an experience I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment