Friday, December 10, 2010

PAAAARTY TIME!!!

December 9 – Party Prompt: Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans. (Author: Shauna Reid)

The funny thing is I was just talking to someone about this exact thing this evening. It was over the summer and the museum that I work at had extended hours that evening. Most of the staff was working that evening, and I was trying to convince two of my co-workers to come out to karaoke ( which was my usual friday night ritual). Both of them were reluctant, due to the fact that they had just finished a 13 hour shift. Someone else on staff suggest we go to the bar across the street after our shifts were over, and we all agreed.


At first, we almost didn't get into the bar, due to a cover charge; however, one of the bouncers saw us, and was like you let us use your parking lot, so there would be no way that they would charge us. So we got the hook up and went in for free. There was a band and a couple of their groupies. The guys in the band ranged from their late 20s to early 40s. The lead singer was reading off of lyric sheets. Their groupies looked like women who were desperate to recapture their lost youth. Apparently this was NOT the place to be on a friday night. The crowd was sparse, probably due to the lame band.

So anyway, someone buys a pitcher. Followed by another pitcher. All of a sudden we notice the lead singer started to heckle our table. "Who drew the Ace?" the lead singer yelled. I looked around and raised my hand, thinking maybe he would give us something. He challenged us to chug our beers after the next song. Our waitress brought out a pitcher of the beer we had been already quickly consuming since we sat at our table. Right before the song was over, I had asked one of the groupies if i could sing if our table succeeded in chugging our drinks, she told me she'll see what she could do. So a song was sung, and we chugged. The girls came out on top, slamming our glasses on the greasy wooden table. The lead singer was all about one of the girls and invited her up to the mic for a split second asked her name, and proceeded to openly flirt with her in front of everyone.

A couple songs pass and I grew impatient. What kind of band reads the words off the page? I wanted to sing so badly, that in my drunken stupor I rolled up to the lead singer and asked if i could see. He told me to thumb through the lyric pages and see if there was anything. "I don't sing this shit!" I replied. "Do you know any journey?" He felt like the band could not handle an impromptu performance of Dont Stop Believin'. He tells me no and I lean closer, "but its only FOUR CHORDS, how hard is FOUR CHORDS?!" I show him how many with my hand, as if that would persuade him to say okay. All of a sudden I hear a familiar riff come from the guitar, followed by the drums. The guitar player yells over the music to the bass player as to which four chords needed to be played. I look around and the lead singer is on a back up mic. All of a sudden I break into the first verse....and TOTALLY BLANK on the next verse. Luckily one of my coworkers runs up and saves my ass. He sings the next verse and before my eyes I became the lead singer of a band (one of my dreams). There were people on the other side of the bar who came over to dance along and who could blame them? My coworker was booty dancing with the groupies, strangers were dancing to a well known tune, and here I was in my element entertaining everyone. The music ends and applause subsides. We were all happy, especially me. I take me seat and continue to drink my beer. Before the band picks up where they left off, the drummer runs up to me, tells me what good of a job I did and gave me a hug.

Ok, so that wasn't a party; but it was definitely a social gathering. One I will NEVER forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment