Monday, December 27, 2010

Not all service is created equal.

So I work in customer service. I have been working in customer service since high school, so I know how flexible (or not flexible) someone can/needs to be. I dont like to complain for the most part, but there are definitely times where I do. It usually happens when I feel that I get treated unfairly or I feel that someone blatantly ignores me.

There have only been 2 major events in which I had complained in the last couple of years.

1) I went to a salon and unknowingly was charged $30 on top of my $15 haircut for simply running a flat iron through my hair. I was almost late for work so I just signed the slip and went off on my merry way. Once I realized that I had just paid over $45 for a haircut that should have cost me $20, I was pretty upset. I called the manager and he was glad to refund part of it.
I go there after work and all over a sudden he refuses. Since flat ironing is a service, there is no way to refund the money, esp if I was okay with the haircut itself. Also the reason I was charged so much was b/c my hair was long. My hair was shoulder length at the time, which is not considered long. They also had expressed that their prices had just increased, but no where in the salon reflected the new prices. It even got to the point where he had the district manager on the phone with me. I also argued that on the back of the receipt it stated that if you were not satisfied you could get a full refund. It did not specify if it was on products or your haircut. I brought that to the manager and all he could do was give me some coupons and a free cut ( just the cut) the next time I came in. It was simply not good enough. I was just so frustrated about it that I called another salon and asked for the number of corporate. I called them, explaining my situation and how I was just so not happy. Long story short, I was mailed a gift card for the amount of the flat ironing.

2) This happened fairly recently.  For those who do not know, I ADORE make - up. It has been a fairly recent hobby of mine, and I constantly want the newest and the best make up. I finally became a MAC fan and right after christmas they came out with two new collections.  I decided to trek up to the mall after a snowstorm at my parents house to go check it out. I come up to the counter and I was casually greeted. I told her that I wanted to try a bunch of different products. Long story short, all that happened was that I was handed a brush and just told to have at it. There was one product that was not approved for wearing on the eyes (something I learned later that day) but yet I was told to try it out on my eyes and cheeks. She just kind of ignored me and I was fairly irritated when I was told to try something on my eyes that wasn't even meant for them. Nothing happened when I tried it, but what if something did?
I wrote an e-mail just expressing my disappointment about being misinformed, b/c I know it would not have happened if I went to the store I usually go to.

I guess what im trying to ask is this. As people who work in customer service, do we let lousy service slide or do we tell someone about someone who is not working up to par?

No comments:

Post a Comment